Oakland: OB Chicken Town

After hanging around UC Berkeley, we made an impromptu trip to the Berkeley Marina.  We walked the entire pier, took goofy pictures, and bothered the fishermen lining the sides.  We toyed with the idea of hitting up happy hour at Skates on the Bay, but were cruelly shot down when we found out that there is no happy hour on Sundays.  Pooh.

Instead, we piled into T's car and zipped down to OB Chicken Town for dinner as we'd planned all along:

















Back in my undergrad years, OB Chicken Town was a bit too far down Telegraph for me to make regular trips to.  As a result, I'd only been there once before.  And on that particular visit, we neglected to order the fried chicken.  I'd always wanted to rectify that egregious error.

With students gone for the summer, the place was a bit quiet:

















Or maybe we just got there too early.  The beer drinking crowd probably doesn't emerge until later in the night.  From what I've heard, OB Chicken Town is a great post-drinking hangout.

Alas, I'm not a drinker, so I wouldn't know.  What I do know is that OB Chicken Town has some great food.

Instead of the panchan one typically thinks of, we were brought a simple salad:























Pickled daikon:

















And asparagus:

















Doesn't look all that impressive, but it's good.

The three of us ordered a small peach soju, just for kicks:























I almost laughed out loud when I saw that it came in a teapot.  The peach soju was a lot stronger than I remembered it to be.  I don't think we got anywhere close to finishing that teapot.

You can't go wrong with ddukbokki covered in mozzarella:

















Okay, so maybe ddukbokki and cheese sounds like a weird combination, but it works.  Honest!  The cheese helps to temper the spiciness of the sauce.  The egg was a cute bonus, as were the slices of sausage.

What I really enjoyed was the yang nyeom dak (sweet and spicy chicken):

















This fried chicken just might give Crisp in Chicago a run for its money.  Super crispy and slathered in this sweet and spicy sauce...mmmm...

I think all my training in Chicago has really been effective.  The last time I went to OB Chicken Town, the spiciness of the ddukbokki almost killed me.  This time around, I felt the kick, but I was LOVING it.  Thank you, roomie!  

OB Chicken Town isn't your typical Korean restaurant (what other Korean place puts cheese on everything?), but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Also gotta love the international soccer reality show playing on the TV screens.  Soccer Aces totally had us on the edge of our seats.  Half of the intrigue was probably due to the fact that we had no idea what they were saying.  But hey, drama transcends all language barriers.  We all wanted to know why everyone wanted to vote Diego off the team.


OB Chicken Town
6101 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609
(510) 595-5338

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!