Berkeley: Sun Hong Kong

I was adamant that we couldn't leave Berkeley without stopping by Sun Hong Kong for happy hour:


Sun Hong Kong bought out Kips while I was still in undergrad.  Kips was your typical pizza and beer kind of joint and it weirded all of us out when it was taken over by Chinese people and relegated upstairs.  So technically Kips still exists, except now all the pizza and burgers and what not are made downstairs...in a Chinese kitchen.  You can even order all that good old American fare downstairs in Sun Hong Kong.  Seriously.  How weird is that?

While the Chinese food at Sun Hong Kong is decent and embarrassingly cheap, what I usually go for is their happy hour from 3:00-6:00pm.

You can order food for even cheaper than usual during happy hour, but I order drinks.  I hardly ever venture into the dining area.  I usually place my drink order at the counter and wait by the drink station:


Prices have gone up since I last went to Sun Hong Kong.  Happy hour drinks used to be $1, but now they're $1.25.  Ah well.  Still worth it.

When I say drinks, I'm sure most of you know by now that I don't mean alcoholic ones.  When I talk about drinks at Sun Hong Kong, I'm talking about milk tea.  And my favorite of all...iced grass jelly:


Still as good as I remember it to be.  My friends get a little freaked out by this drink because it's basically grass jelly, sugar syrup, ice, and half and half.  So maybe it's not the healthiest thing on the menu, but when has that ever stopped me?

Grass jelly forever!!


Sun Hong Kong
2439 Durant Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 848-4340

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!