San Francisco: Off the Grid (Fort Mason) (Revisited)

After spending the day walking around the Mission, chatting back at my apartment, and shopping around Powell, my Chicago SSA friend and I met up with AF and took a long MUNI ride up to Fort Mason for Off the Grid in order to scavenge for dinner.

















We got there relatively early (5:30-ish), so the lines really weren't all that bad.

After a quick walk around, our first stop was El Porteno for some empanadas:

















We got the asparagus special:

















It was filled with asparagus, gouda, and roasted red pepper:

















Yea...sounded better than it tasted.  I was hoping for the sweet roasted red pepper to come through, but instead, it just tasted a lot like...grass.  I discovered that mushy asparagus is just not my thing.

The mushroom empanada was MUCH better:

















Mushrooms (local and organic of course) with shallots, parmesan, and creme fraiche tucked inside a flaky dough:

















AF stopped by the Brass Knuckle truck:

















With a name like Notorious P.I.G., I think I expected something a lot flashier:

















Don't let its docile appearance fool you though.  This parsley herb orgasmica (what the heck?), ham, swiss, and pickle rosemary waffle sandwich packed quite a flavor punch.

By the time our Chicago doctor-to-be friend made it to Fort Mason, the crowds were ridiculous.  We could barely find the line to the Creme Brulee Cart:

















Got the honey vanilla, the cafe mocha, and the nutella and strawberries:

















My favorite part of the day?  Sitting with my girls at the pier, enjoying the food, the company, and the view:























Gawd, I love San Francisco.


Off the Grid
Fort Mason Center

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!