Taiwan: Shin Yeh

To celebrate the end of my internship, a co-worker treated me (and a couple others) to a dinner at Shin Yeh. I'd only been to Shin Yeh's Japanese buffet before, so I was quite excited to try their Taiwanese restaurant:



For weeks, my co-worker had been talking about Shin Yeh's yam rice porridge:



You can order it instead of white rice. It comes unlimited and they charge you by the number of people in your party. I used to hate yam rice porridge as a kid. I loved pork sung and there was just something weird about putting pork sung into your rice porridge when there are yam chunks swimming in it. Shin Yeh's yam rice porridge was good, but I just can't give up my white rice. Sauces don't mix as well with rice porridge as they do with rice.

The menu was quite extensive, so I left the ordering to my co-workers. First came the "fatty" chicken with oil and green onion:



Good, but not incredibly memorable.

My co-worker wanted some fried calamari:



Nowhere as good as what's offered in San Francisco.

We also got the oyster omelette:



Unlike the night market oyster omelette, this was an actual omelette as in scrambled eggs with oysters (lots of oysters) in it. Very delicious.

Apparently Shin Yeh is known for its pan-fried liver:



This has been an eventful summer for me. I've been eating all sorts of things that I don't typically like, such as taro, yam rice porridge, and now liver. I dislike liver because of its powdery texture. The way this particular dish was prepared however, got rid of half the powdery-ness of the liver. The glaze was sweet and the surface of the liver was slightly crispy. The center still retained a bit of the texture that I dislike, but I was able to overlook it because the rest was so tasty.

My co-workers knew that I love fatty meats, so they also ordered a fried large intestine:



And a fried chicken roll:



Even though it is called a chicken roll, there's not always chicken in it. My co-worker told me that the name comes from the Taiwanese word for "garbage" (which sounds like the Mandarin word for "chicken") because people would put whatever was leftover in the kitchen into the roll.

We ordered 5 dishes at first, then my co-worker ordered another 3 without the rest of us knowing. I was so full by then that I had to force myself to eat more.

First was the beef with Chinese broccoli:



The beef was fantastic, much to my surprise. It wasn't cooked to death, but was tender and actually still oozed a bit of blood. Mmmmm....bloody beef is the best. (I think I ended up eating all of the beef on that plate.)

Then there was the tofu clay pot:



I wish I had a bowl of rice to go with this....and the stomach space.

And some fried shrimp with pineapple:



Not my favorite of the night, but pretty good.

At the end of the meal, we were brought some mochi:



Shin Yeh was great, though a little on the expensive side. The service was amazing. There was always someone asking if we wanted more chrysanthemum tea or some more yam rice porridge.

My co-workers also spotted a minor celebrity in the restaurant on our way out. I think that in itself pretty much sums up the restaurant.


欣葉台菜
106台北市大安區忠孝東路四段112號
02-2752-9299
http://www.shinyeh.com.tw/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!