South Bay: Shanghai Delight

My paternal grandparents grew up in Shanghai, so whenever we go out to eat, they always want to get some Shanghai cuisine. To celebrate my sister going away to college, my grandfather suggested we eat here:



Can't start a meal without appetizers. My dad wanted the drunken chicken:


I think my dad makes better drunken chicken. This was a little on the bland side.

The smoked duck was quite scrumptious though:



As was the smoked fish:



My grandparents sometimes make this at home too:



In Chinese it's called kao fu and it's basically tofu skin, bamboo, and wood ear mushroom.

My sister really loves eggplant (as do I). The server recommended this fried eggplant dish:



Soooooo good...but the eggplant got a bit lost in all the fried goodness.

We also ordered a fish with wood ear mushroom:



The dish had alcohol in it, but was slightly sweet and very tasty. It went really well with rice.

My grandfather really likes honey walnut shrimp:



This will go against most of what I typically say, but I prefer my honey walnut shrimp un-fried. Honey walnut shrimp used to always come un-fried, but that all changed some ten years back. Nowadays it's rare to find un-fried honey walnut shrimp, at least in the Bay Area.

I love intestines, so this dish was perfect for me:



People who don't like intestines will probably be turned off by this dish. The intestine-y taste and smell was really, really strong. There were noodles on the bottom, but they didn't have much flavor...so I just picked out the intestines. Yum.

We also ordered a pork wrapped in tofu skin:



Instead of white rice, we got veggie rice, which might be three times better than regular white rice:



The rice was super fragrant, but not so salty as to overpower the taste of the main dishes.

We ordered way too much for the six of us, but it was worth it to be able to try all that good food. Knowing my grandparents, we'll definitely be back.


Shanghai Delight
218 Barber Ct
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 434-6888

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!