South Bay: Chavez Supermarket

While I was in Chicago, my sister kept teasing me with pictures of Mexican bread. Right before the end of the school year, my sister called me with devastating news: the Mexican bakery she'd been going to had closed down. Guh. Luckily, that phone call was followed by another a few weeks later to say that she'd found another bakery. When I returned from Taiwan, my sister brought me there as promised:



There was a huge selection of bread, but my sister immediately picked out her favorite custard empanadas:



The crust was a little hard for my tastes, but the custard filling was delicious.

I decided to give this one a try:



It was good, but not as good as my two favorite Mexican pastries (the pretzel with sugar crystals and this flaky layered bun). I was deeply saddened when I couldn't find either at Chavez Supermarket.

My very good friend from high school used to always bring me my favorite Mexican breads whenever she visited. For my birthday back in undergrad, she actually gave me a huge container filled with Mexican pretzels. The downside was that because I didn't know where to buy them, she would threaten to withhold Mexican bread from me whenever I didn't want to do something. I was hoping that Chavez Supermarket would help me escape from my friend's clutches, but it looks like I will have to keep looking. Dangit.


Chavez Supermarket
2327 McKee Rd
San Jose, CA 95116
(409) 929-5208
http://www.chavezsuper.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!