Taiwan: Shilin Night Market (Revisited Again)

I finally did it. I finally got in the monster chicken cutlet line at Shilin night market:



To help the line move along, someone comes down the line passing out plastic bags. You're expected to open the bag in preparation for chicken goodness. At the front of the line, all they ask is whether you want it spicy or not.

Here's the giant fried chicken cutlet (non-spicy of course):



It's so big that only half of it fits in the paper bag. The chicken is freshly fried and surprisingly juicy. And only 50 NT (a little less than $2)!

My sister can never pass on an oyster omelet:



I ordered a 天婦羅 (tian fu luo) or the Taiwanese version of tempura...even though I probably shouldn't have:



It's basically fried fish paste with some kind of sweet sauce. The sauce will taste different depending on the store and the region.

I was full from the chicken and the tempura, but my sister refused to leave without some shaved ice:



I was happy enough with some fresh pineapple juice:



My sister wanted a mango shaved ice:



The ice itself was mango flavored...but artificially so. I took a few bites, but only the mango tasted good to me.

There are still a few more night markets I want to hit up before I leave Taiwan but somehow I keep ending back at Shilin.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!