Taiwan: Miaokou Night Market

Keelung is especially known for Miaokou night market, so after resting up a bit at our hostel, we headed back out to join the fray. The main street of the night market has been organized into a row of numbered stalls:



The perpendicular street looks much more traditional with food carts and their colorful signs. My first stop was this drink stand:



I love 山粉圓 (shan fen yuan), which are basil seeds in lemonade:



The black basil seeds become gelatinous and clear once soaked in liquid. The resulting effect is a soft jelly with a tiny bit of a crunch in the middle.

My friend considers himself a stinky tofu connoisseur, so he eats stinky tofu wherever he goes:



He made me take a picture of his grilled stinky tofu for my blog:



When I passed by this grilled mochi stand, I knew that I had to get one:



You can choose between different toppings. My sister and I agreed on condensed milk:



...which probably wasn't the smartest choice. Let's just say it was WAY too sweet for the both of us.

I've heard a lot about bubble ice at Miaokou. There were two stalls next to each other, one with a line a mile long. I chose the one with the shorter line because it was just too hot to squish with others:



I went with the green mango flavor:



Icy and refreshing, but a bit too artificial tasting for me.

As I've said before, Keelung is all about the seafood. There were all these stands loaded with crabs, oysters, shrimp, and clams...but we didn't stop at any of them. Fail, I know, but even though it all looked delicious, none of us really felt like sitting down and getting messy. Miaokou is also known for its squid soup...but we didn't get that either. Too hot for soup.

Looking back, I'm disappointed in myself. If I ever get the chance to go back again, I'll do it right. I swear.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!