Taiwan: Pin Xian

Protesting is hard work, so I'd worked up quite an appetite by dinnertime. Good thing my friend had a place picked out:



Pin Xian was a happenin' place. There were 3 rooms, all filled to the brim with merry customers clinking beer bottles and chowing down on all these amazing smelling dishes. The majority of the very extensive menu cost 100 NT each (a little over $3), while a separate column featured dishes at 150 NT each ($5). Luckily, my friend came equipped with a magazine article, complete with recommended dishes.

We got some shark:



The broth was a bit spicy for me, but the shark meat was supple and delicious.

We took the magazine's advice and ordered this pork dish:



I'm not sure how they cooked the meat, but the pork was subtly smoky and a bit sweet.

My favorite of the night had to be the fried intestines with string beans:



I love, love, love intestines! This plate was particularly salty but I loved it that way. Plus, there's limitless white rice, so bring it on!

There were only 2 of us, but for some reason we figured that 3 dishes wouldn't be enough. Of everything on the menu (besides the intestines), what popped out the most to me was the 豆酥鱈魚 (dou su xue yu). I'm not sure how this is translated, but the sea bass is the important part:



The fish was fabulous, but I've had better 豆酥or dou su (the crumble stuff on top). It was a bit too soggy for my taste. But whatever. Where in the States can you get dou su xue yu for $3?

Overall, a great place to hang out after work and grab a beer. Or two. Or a case. These girls wearing Heineken outfits went around the restaurant asking people if they wanted more beer and refilling people's cups for them. Too bad we didn't think of this place when my boss came to visit from the States...


品鱻
106台灣台北市大安區樂利路68號
02-2735-8373

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!