San Francisco: Boxing Room

I'd read an article about Boxing Room a few days back, so I thought it would be a good place to take NB and AF for dinner on Saturday:























A part of the Absinthe Brasserie & Bar family, it'd just opened this month and had been getting quite a lot of positive buzz.

I loved the design of the place.  So open and modern, yet warm:

















Instead of the usual bread and butter, we were brought crackers and pimento cheese:























We started off with the grilled Monterey squid:

















It came with tasso (a type of Cajun ham), roasted garlic aioli, and fried okra.  It was certainly good, but not exactly sometime I will remember for months to come.

I was really excited about trying the fried alligator:

















The creole remoulade really made the dish.  It could have been fried anything and I would've eaten it with that sauce.  Meanwhile, the alligator itself didn't really stand out.  Maybe the pieces were just too small?

We also got a catfish po'boy:

















The po'boy supposedly came with tartar sauce, but I couldn't really taste it.  In fact, I couldn't really taste much of anything.  The fish was fresh and juicy, but it wasn't particularly seasoned.  The lettuce was just...lettuce.  The entire sandwich just ended up being rather bland and underwhelming, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to like it.

I've never loved hushpuppies and I still don't, but these were perhaps the best hushpuppies I've ever had.  They weren't a bit dry, though they would have been even better if there had been some kind of sauce to dip them in.

Sadly, the three of us all agreed that we weren't very impressed by Boxing Room.  Maybe we just ordered the wrong dishes?  Or maybe we were just expecting too much?


Boxing Room
399 Grove St
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 430-6590
http://www.boxingroom.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!