Orange County: Thach Che Hien Khanh

Four spring rolls were quite a lot, but a short walk to the next plaza was enough to shift things around and create some space in our stomachs for dessert.

According to T's friend, Hien Khanh is supposed to have some of the best che (Vietnamese for "dessert" and the only word my sister and I really learned from T after some 13 years of friendship):


Walking into this kind of place always makes me feel like a kid in a candy store:


So much to choose from:


Most of which I cannot identify:


I can recognize the coconut milk, but what's sitting in it is beyond me.

Luckily, T was there.  Not only is she Vietnamese, her tastes are similar to mine.  Having her with us also made ordering a lot easier.  We just stepped aside and let her do her thang.

Something new she introduced us to was this sweet potato like dessert covered in shredded coconut:


It's starchier than a sweet potato, with a subtler sweetness.

Then there was this more familiar glutinous rice with black-eyed peas and coconut milk:


Some kind of fruity coconut concoction:


And at my sister's request, a three-color dessert drink:


The mung bean added a creaminess while the water chestnuts added a fun crunch and the jelly something Q.

Love love love che.

We took a bite of each and then saved the rest for the family we stayed with (fondly known as the Chang Gang).  T, my sister, and I said our goodbyes to Goddess C and then made it back to Irvine in time for church.

The rest of the day was spent hanging out with the Chang Gang.  We were treated out to a great Chinese dinner, which really should have been T's and my treat since I successfully stole the bill.  Unfortunately, the Chang Gang cheated by taking us to a restaurant where they knew the owner.  I stole the bill but nobody would take my credit card.

Dinner, fail.  But breakfast?  Super win!


Thach Che Hien Khanh
9784 Westminster Ave
Garden Grove, CA 92844
(714) 537-5105

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!