Taiwan: Shilin Night Market (Revisited)

It's been a long week. My bosses from DC came to visit Taiwan, so I've been running around attending meetings with them and then taking them around after work. The first night they were here we hit up Shilin night market because it's a must for any tourist.

Our first stop was this drink stand:



I got a winter melon tea:



This is one of my favorite drinks to have in the summer. It can get pretty sweet so beware, lest you end up thirstier than before.

Next we sat down at a teppanyaki stand:



Nope, you're not seeing things. That's a mountain of BUTTER:



But hey, butter makes food taste better:



We each ordered a different meat and the chef then split each among the 4 of us. Each meat was 100 NT (over $3) and came with two types of vegetables.

Of course I had to take them to the shaved ice place. Instead of my usual mango, my Taiwanese boss wanted to share the raw egg snow ice:



Yes, that's a raw egg nestled in there. Once you scramble the yolk, the ice causes it to congeal:



The egg yolk ended up with a slightly thick custard-y texture. It was good...but nowhere close to my mango shaved ice.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!