Japan: Kitsuneya

On our last full day in Japan, we went to the old Tsukiji Market.  While the famous wholesale fish market moved back in 2018 to Toyosu, the outer market with all the food stalls remained. 

We actually weren't there for seafood at all.  Instead, I had my eye on Kitsuneya:


CK and I had passed by Kitsuneya our first time in Japan.  We were immediately drawn in by the delicious aroma wafting from the giant vat of simmering meat.  At the time, we were so full that we couldn't even entertain the thought of eating more.  I never forgot about Kitsuneya though.  When I knew we were going to Japan again, I promised myself that I would make it happen.

Kitsuneya is known for two things: their gyudon and their horumon-don.  Gyudon (¥750 / $7.04) is essentially beef and onion simmered in a slightly sweet soy sauce based sauce over rice:


I was really sad when I realized that I'd forgotten to order an egg.  While I was busy pouting, CK had already taken action and went back to get one (¥50 / $0.47):


Even though the yolk tragically popped, I was still so, so happy.

What I was most interested in trying, however, was the horumon-don (¥850 / $7.97):


Horumon is "offal" in Japanese.  With over 70 years under its belt, Kitsuneya's horumonni is a mix of large intestine, small intestine, and lungs cooked to perfection in miso.  The horumon-don is basically horumonni on top of rice.  You can also order the horumonni by itself and get rice on the side if you so wish.

Compared to the sweetness of Kitsuneya's gyudon, their horumon-don has a darker, more intense flavor.  If offal isn't your cup of tea, you'll probably want to stick with the more beginner friendly gyudon.  As an offal lover (minus cooked liver), I enjoyed the horumon-don immensely.

We ordered three bowls for the three of us, but we really should've gotten just two.  There were a few counter stools and then a couple tables where you could stand and eat from.  The couple at the table next to ours were fighting.  Even before CK translated their argument from Korean to English for us, we could feel the tension rising.

That certainly didn't prevent us from enjoying our food though.  It'll take a lot more than a lovers' spat to ruin Kitsuneya for me.

If you find yourself at Tsukiji, don't just focus on the seafood.  Follow the smell to Kitsuneya and you won't regret it!


きつねや
東京都 中央区 築地 4-9-12
03-3545-3902

Comments

  1. i could have sworn a korean spat has already happened on this trip

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!