Taiwan: Wei Lang Man Da Ban Shao

I read about 味浪漫大阪燒 (Wei Lang Man Da Ban Shao) in a Taiwanese food blog and I knew instantly that I had to try it out:



There's just something about okonomiyaki that appeals to me. Even though there are griddles on every table, at Wei Lang Man, you don't get to make your own okonomiyaki. The chef makes it and then the servers bring it to your table. The griddles are there to keep your food warm:



Okonomiyaki are like giant Japanese pancakes. A variety of different ingredients can be put into one. Between my friend and I, we decided to pick one with noodle and one without. For our noodle one, we picked the "Mix":



It had seafood inside and bacon strips at the top:



The noodles were very Q (if you don't know what that means, it's time to look up some Taiwanese slang) and the sauce was very good in a tangy-salty kind of way. Because the noodles made the okonomiyaki so thick, toward the end, there were parts that didn't have seafood or enough sauce.

My favorite of the night turned out to be the simpler mochi and cheese okonomiyaki:



I was really curious about the mochi and cheese combination:



The cheese was really subtle and the mochi added an interesting texture. What really made this pop was the unexpected hint of wasabi.

A filling meal, if not a bit pricey at around $10 per okonomiyaki. A piece of Osaka in Taipei...definitely worth a try.


味浪漫大阪燒
106台灣台北市大安區復興南路一段107巷5弄2號
02-2721-3141
http://www.ajiroman.htm.tw

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!