Taiwan: Tonghua Night Market

My goal this summer for Taiwan is to go to different night markets that I've never been to before. The first step toward achieving that goal was Tonghua night market:



Prepare yourself for a series of fabulous food pics with little description. First is the fried squid lady:



We bought the small order with mayo and seaweed:



Very Q and so very delicious.

We passed by this fried shrimp and pineapple stand and had to do a double take:



You get to choose two sauces. The lady recommended mango and Thai sauce, so we went with that:



I thought the pineapple would be fried with the shrimp, but it was just on the side. The mango sauce was creamy and very subtle while the Thai sauce was sour and slightly spicy.

I saw this guy from the opposite lane and I knew I had to stop by:



That's peanut brittle shavings on top of a thin crepe with three scoops of ice cream (pineapple, peanut, and red bean), and a handful of cilantro:



The entire thing is then rolled up into a burrito:



The end result is a brilliant blend of flavors and textures:



The peanut brittle was crunchy and slightly salty, while the ice cream was cold, creamy, and subtly sweet. Cilantro and ice cream may sound weird, but it really provided an interesting pop. A must try if you ever come across this kind of stand.

Tonghua is an awesome night market. I can't believe it took me so many years to check it out. I'm already looking forward to visiting again.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!