Chicago: Sun Wah BBQ

As I've often lamented in my posts, Chicago has a dearth of good Chinese food.  Sun Wah BBQ is supposed to be have the best Chinese BBQ around town, so I was excited to try it out, yet careful not to let my expectations rise too high.

The packed restaurant was a good sign:


Though the mostly non-Asian clientele was a little troubling.

I was lucky enough to be invited along to CK's boyfriend's family dinner.  Since they seemed to be regular customers of Sun Wah, I let them figure out what to order.

First came the roast pork:


While a bit meatier than I like my roast pork to be, it was very legit.

CK's boyfriend and his family were raving about some eggplant dish they'd had before:


Apparently this wasn't the right one, but it still tasted good.

There was the fish filet with stir fried ginger and green onion:


And won ton soup:


Small clams in black bean and garlic sauce:


Beef chow fun:


And last but not least, pea pod leaves:


All in all the food was decent, but nothing incredibly spectacular.  Where do all the Chinese Chicagoans go for good Chinese food?  If anyone knows, please let me in on the secret.

I'm not completely crossing Sun Wah off my list though.  Sun Wah is actually known for its Peking duck, which, to my disappointment, we didn't order.  I did, however, see ducks being brought to other tables and carved tableside.  While I'm not a particular fan of eating Peking duck in steamed buns, the duck itself looked juicy and delicious...from across the room at least.  The duck feast is supposed to also come with duck soup and duck fried rice.

If I ever go back to Sun Wah BBQ, it'll be to get the duck feast and the duck feast only.  Everything else I can probably find cheaper elsewhere.


Sun Wah BBQ
5039 N Broadway St
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 769-1254
http://sunwahbbq.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!