Korea: Sinchon Hwangso Kopchang Kui

I've been really excited about getting to this post because this place is by far my favorite restaurant in Seoul:


Granted, I didn't really eat at all that many restaurants, but I haven't been able to get this place out of my head.

Anyway, after our little excursion in Insadong, the three of us wandered around Gwanghwamun Plaza in an attempt to waste time before CK's cousin got off work.  The minute we met up, he whisked us away on a taxi to the area around his alma mater (the name of the university escapes me now, but I think it's ranked number 2 in Korea).  Good food always abounds around schools.  Or at least it should.

CK's cousin brought us to Sinchon Hwangso Kopchang Kui, one of his old haunts.  I was told we were getting INTESTINE.  If I had a tail, it would've definitely been wagging like mad.  I.  Love.  Intestine.

There was salad on the table, but I actually really like it:


It would come in handy later to help cut the fattiness of the intestine.

There was also other raw veggies, as well as raw LIVER and STOMACH:


Everyone was telling me not to try the raw liver.  Apparently even native Koreans find it icky.  Of course I had to give it a go.  Now, it's no big secret that I hate liver, but listening to all their warnings and seeing all their contorted expressions really got me curious.

I took a small bite at first.  To my surprise, I actually LIKED it.  Me.  Liver hater.  Liking raw liver.  It didn't have any of that powdery texture of cooked liver that I detest so much.  The liver flavor also wasn't all that intense.  Wow.  Now I know that my aversion to liver is only restricted to liver in cooked forms.  Raw liver?  Bring it on.

CK's cousin did all the ordering, so I can't say for certain what this is.  From what I gather, it's some kind of clam soup that's good for you:


The soup was very refreshing and I liked it really much.  I actually didn't get around to eating the clams because I got too distracted by this beast:


Oooooh yea, baby.  Come to mama.

There's small intestine in that sizzling pot.  Small intestine and heart.  The fat from the small intestine cooks and flavors all the veggies, making everything so damn delicious.  Heart cooks really quickly, so we had to fish those out and eat them first before they got too tough to be enjoyable.

The intestine, on the other hand, we let cook down until they had a crunchy crust:


The fun didn't end after all the meat pieces were gone.  Oh, no.  Next came the rice:


Mixed with the fat from the small intestine, the leftover veggies, and the crunchy bits at the bottom of the pan...mmm...heaven:


So fatty, but oh so good.

Can you see why I salivate every time I think back to this meal?  Guh.  I need more of this in my life.

I wish I knew how much the meal cost though.  I didn't get a chance to find out because CK's cousin paid for everything.  Including the alcohol and the soda (for CK and I, since we don't drink).

CK's cousin was super generous.  Something about Korean culture and him being not only the eldest, but also a guy led to him treating the three of us out all night.  That's right.  You read that correctly.  This wasn't the only place we stopped that night.  I don't know how we did it, but we definitely ate more after this utterly satisfying meal.

On a fun side note, CK's cousin taught us the proper etiquette of pouring alcohol for your elders.  Quite a lot goes into it.  Definitely a lot more than I expected, which makes it all the more interesting to learn.


신촌 황소곱창구이
서울특별시 서대문구 창천동 52-121
02-337-2640

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!