Chicago: Kabul House

Over the summer I left all my stuff with CK's sister.  It basically clogged up her laundry room.  I finally got around to getting it all back a week after I returned to Chicago.  Since we were in the suburbs anyway, CK and her boyfriend brought me to Kabul House, one of CK's favorite restaurants:


I have to keep reminding myself that it's not pronounced kah-bull.  Damn you, CK's boyfriend.  It's stuck in my head now.

Kabul House is known for its authentic Afghan cuisine.  CK's boyfriend is good friends with the owner, so we definitely got some special treatment.  Woot woot!

We started out with a basket of bread:


And a bowl of soup (not exactly sure what kind of soup it is):


CK insisted on ordering the kadu:


Kadu is a sweet baby pumpkin dish topped with yogurt sauce.  Very sweet and quite delicious, especially if you're a fan of pumpkin.

As another appetizer, we got the mantoo, which were steamed dumplings filled with ground beef, onion, and spices and drizzled with tomato meat sauce and yogurt:


Not bad for a non-Asian dumpling.

My favorite was the sabzee, which was spinach cooked with garlic, onion, and spices:


Who knew I would like spinach so much?

The only entree we were interested in was the qabili palau:


So we ordered two.  In hindsight we probably shouldn't have.  There was way too much food for the three of us to even attempt to finish.

The qabili palau consisted of lamb buried under a heap of seasoned rice and garnished with carrot and raisins.  It also came with two sauces, one yogurt-y and the other tart:


Since we had an in with the owner (thanks to CK's boyfriend), we got a qorma sabzee on the house:


It was like the sabzee and the qabili palau came together and had a baby.  Succulent chunks of lamb stew resting on a bed of sauteed spinach...  So.  Damn.  Good.

We also got a firnee on the house for dessert:


A firnee is a Afghan pudding made with milk, rose fragrance, and pistachios.  Very fragrant, but not overpowering, and the texture was smooth and slightly creamy.

We had enough leftovers for CK and I to enjoy another meal together.  Insane.  And still delicious after reheating.  Definitely check out Kabul House if you're ever in Skokie!

As a little side note, street parking in the area isn't free, which surprised me because for some reason I thought that street parking would be free in the suburbs.  However, when I resentfully inserted my quarter into the parking meter, we were all stunned to discover that 25 cents got us two hours.  Holy moly!  What the hell?  Is it always like that in the suburbs?


Kabul House
4949 Oakton St
Skokie, IL 60077
(847) 674-3830
http://kabulhouse.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!