Chicago: Big Jones

A good friend of mine is leaving for a summer in Russia next week, so to send her off, her fiance arranged a not-so-surprise surprise brunch for her at Big Jones:



The food was so good that people outside kept pressing their faces against the windows. Ok...maybe not. We didn't sit next to the window, so it could've happened!

The first thing you'll notice about Big Jones is the heavy, red velvet curtain sectioning off the dining room from the entrance area. A little unnecessary, if you ask me, but the rest of the restaurant was cute:



Minutes after we sat down, the waitress placed a plate of beignets on the table. That's right, beignets. Not bread, not biscuits, but BEIGNETS. I thought I wouldn't be able to try a beignet until I got around to visiting Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans, but I guess I was wrong. Thank you Big Jones for the lightest, most awesome pillows of dough (buried in powdered sugar...yum!):



My roommate and I have a system where I let her pick what she wants to eat and we share. It's easier that way. I'm indecisive and she's...not. We also tend to have similar tastes in food (her love of vegetables excluded).

We splurged a little with eggs New Orleans, which are crab cakes on popovers, topped by poached eggs and béarnaise sauce, and accompanied by potatoes O'Brien:



I have this pet peeve where I live to eat my egg yolks by sticking it whole into my mouth and popping it in my mouth. That way you don't lose any of the yolk, which is the best part of the egg in my opinion. Major fail today; I popped the yolk on the plate. I was bummed for a few seconds, but the greatness of the crab cake and the popover cheered me up real quick. No skimping on the crab meat at Big Jones.

Our second entree was the pulled pork sandwich:



Sounds fairly simple, but so, so good. The pork was tender and had this subtle hot sauce-y tang that went superbly well with the vinegar of the cole slaw. The fries, oh the fries. That's some good seasoning, trust me.

Because we had such a big party, I was able to sample a wide variety of things off other people's plates. Grits, ham, bacon, toast, fried green tomato (much better than what I had at The Big Easy a while back)...everything was really good.

If Andersonville wasn't so far north (or if I had a car) I would definitely be back to check out the neighborhood. The restaurants and little boutiques lining the street reminded me of College Ave back in Berkeley.

Overall, a fantastic meal and a much needed break from studying. Best wishes to my friend on her summer adventure in Russia!


Big Jones
5347 N Clark St
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 275-5725
http://www.bigjoneschicago.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!