Chicago: The Big Easy

For an impromptu lunch after class, a couple friends and I stopped by The Big Easy:

Publish Post

The owner (at least I think he was the owner) was a really engaging man who, once he found out that we were law students, regaled us with stories about the one time Geoffrey Stone set him up on a blind date with Elena Kagan back in the day. Who knows if it's true, but it does make for an entertaining story.

The first thing he asked us when we were seated was whether we ate fresh bagels. I guess our confusion showed on our faces (how the heck do you answer a question like that? Um...yea?) because he immediately explained how the bakery had made extra bagels that morning and that we were free to take some home. Yea, baby! I grabbed an onion one. I haven't tried it yet, but it sure smelled good:



It didn't take long for a basket of cornbread to be set in front of us. These little muffin cornbread were just too cute. Some of them looked like they had trunks:



I've been wanting to try fried green tomatoes for a long time, or at least since I saw them on the Food Network:



To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. But that doesn't mean I've given up on fried green tomatoes. I'm sure there are really good ones out there just waiting for me to discover them. If you know of any restaurants that serve good ones, let me know!

My friend kindly "requested" that I take a photo of her entree for the blog. She had the Bourbon Street stuffed jambalaya:



There's shrimp, andouille, and roasted chicken stuffed in that chicken breast. I can't tell you how good the dish was or whether or not the chicken breast was dry, but my friend seemed to like it a lot. If I remember correctly, the last time we came here she'd ordered the same thing.

Actually, I'd ordered the same thing as my last visit too. Being cheap, I've cultivated a taste for sandwiches over the years. Combined with my love for fried fish, how could I not order the catfish po'boy?:



The best po'boy I've ever had was in Berkeley and I still miss it. This po'boy is good, but it just doesn't satisfy that po'boy craving I get from time to time.

Before we left, the owner had one more surprise for us. We each got a sample of the chocolate cappuccino mousse pie:



We were advised to eat the entire thing in one bite and that was probably the best advice I've gotten all month. If I hadn't been so full...and so cheap...I would've asked for a full slice.


The Big Easy
1660 E 55th St
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 330-0440

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!