New York: Nathan's Famous

The original plan was to walk NYC, starting from Costco on 117th all the way down to halal at 53rd. I think we got to 96th before we hopped on a bus. In our defense, it was hot and we did manage to walk quite an impressive distance (including the blocks it took to get from my friend's apartment to Costco).

After getting halal and taking the subway to Brooklyn to be introduced to my friend's theater friend, we somehow made the decision to drop by Coney Island. It turns out, we picked the worst day (or maybe the best?) to visit Coney Island. Not only was it a weekend, but it was the day of the Mermaid Parade. The beach and the boardwalk were swarming with people. I'm still not too clear what the Mermaid Parade was, but it looked to me like an opportunity for people to dress up (um...dress down) in seashells and fishnets, etc. There were tons of topless girls covered only with two clam shells, but there were also tons of people dressed in the most interesting costumes. One of my favorites had to be this squid girl.

Unfortunately, I have this phobia of large masses of people squeezed in one place. Basically, we went down to the beach, touched the water, and then made our way back. But before we got back on the subway, I was adamant that we couldn't leave without hitting up Nathan's Famous for a hot dog:



Of course the lines were ridiculous there. It was difficult to even find a line to get into. We sort of just got behind some people and waited it out.

Eventually we got to the front of the line and I ordered an original frankfurter:



Nothing but ketchup and mustard on my hot dog, baby. I was prepared to be let down by the hot dog or be so gratified to have gotten food after waiting so long that anything tasted good. It was actually neither of those. The hot dog was actually...good. Dangit. The bun was soft, the hot dog juicy and hot. Just a basic hot dog with none of the fancy stuff.

Here's what really made my day:



A large cup of lemonade. Oh yea. Again, the lemonade was actually....very good. Not because it was icy and we were hot (though I'll admit that did feel really, really nice), but the lemonade itself had just the right balance of sweetness and sourness. So refreshing after a day under the sun.

Sadly, my impression of Coney Island is made up of half naked people and lots of crowding. But there's also Nathan's, which made the trip more than worth it despite everything else.


Nathan's Famous
1310 Surf Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11224
(718) 946-2202
http://nathansfamous.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!