New York: Max Brenner

Imagine my extreme disappointment when I found out that the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck took the weekends off. I'd been looking forward to trying the Salty Pimp, but it just wasn't to be on this trip. My friend quickly proposed Max Brenner and the world was right again:



Everything in the restaurant was chocolate-y. There's a chocolate gift shop right at the entrance, there are chocolate pipes (who knows if there's actually chocolate in them) running through the dining area, and chocolate-filled glass containers in display cabinets. It certainly was a popular place for people to hang out:



My other dear high school friend had had a busy day so it was nice to finally all meet up and relax. The three of us agreed that three separate desserts may be overkill, so we selected a creamy spinach and artichoke fondue to start off with:



The tortilla chips were dusted with chili powder and they tasted quite a bit like...Doritos. It seemed like a lot of dip for such a little amount of chips, but before we knew it, we were at the bottom of the bowl with only a few chips left. The fondue itself was nothing too special. You could taste the cheese, but not much else.

Our first dessert was the sticky caramel chocolate concoction:



The plating was certainly cute, but it wasn't quite what I'd expected. The menu had said that it was a sea salt caramel mousse, but the actual concoction tasted more like caramel and chocolate goop. You can never really go wrong with chocolate and caramel, but I was really looking forward to the sea salt part and the goopy texture threw me off too. There were also peanuts at the bottom that were a tad bit spicy, from what I have no idea. Overall, I was a little let down by this dessert.

Our second choice of the night was the euphoria peanut butter chocolate fudge sundae:



This, as compared to the other dessert, was everything that I'd imagined. Rich, decadent...and too much to handle. There was so much going on in that one goblet: deep chocolate peanut butter ice cream, dulce de leche ice cream, caramelized toffee bananas, pure chocolate chunks, milk chocolate sauce, peanut butter sauce, and whipped cream topped with crunchy hazelnut bits.

In the end, everything just tasted, well, sweet and peanut-y. I don't think I even tasted any dulce de leche. Needless to say, we couldn't finish more than half. We didn't even touch the extra peanut butter sauce on the side, though one of my friends did go to town with the extra chocolate sauce.

Max Brenner is fun, but a little over the top for me. Too much, too sweet, but really pretty to look at.


Max Brenner
841 Broadway
New York, NY 10003
(212) 388-0030
http://www.maxbrenner.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!