Taiwan: Xinjiang World

Prepare yourself for a series of really bad attempts at romanization and translation. I'm in Taiwan for the summer.

On my first day in Taiwan, I actually went to this really great ramen place in the Breeze Center of Taipei Main Station for lunch...unfortunately, I forgot my camera. Guess I'll just have to go back again.

My first dinner in Taiwan was handpicked by my cousin. Xinjiang Jie (literally "Xinjiang World") is dedicated to cuisine from, well, Xinjiang, China:



Xinjiang is an autonomous region in China bordering Tibet, Mongolia, Russia, Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, and a couple other countries. Xinjiang cuisine typically refers to that of the Uyghurs. This means lots of lamb and handemade noodles, both of which are featured in this particular restaurant.

My cousins did all the ordering that night, so I won't be able to be really specific about what we ate. They ordered 8 lamb kebabs. I got to try one:



The lamb was heavily spiced and very flavorful, but I couldn't help but feel that it'd lost most of the lamb-y flavor that I love about lamb.

They ordered some kind of vegetable soup:



I actually really enjoyed the soup. It was salty and a tad vinegar-y with just a hint of sweetness.

Out of all the handmade noodle option, I voted for this one:



The noodles came in these little square sheets, which were quite fun to eat. The beef was cut so thin that I almost forgot that there was meat in the dish. The sauce had the same salty, tangy combination that was in the soup.

A really filling meal, but not exactly the most exciting one. The handmade noodles were fantastic. If you've never tried handmade noodles, get thee to the nearest handmade noodle shop. It just tastes different. I can't explain it.


新疆界手工麵館
251台湾台北縣淡水鎮新民街78號

02-2621-3223

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!