Chicago: Troha's Chicken & Shrimp House

The high school that CK's boyfriend teaches at was out for Cesar Chavez Day, so he asked if he could sit in on my law classes to observe the teaching styles of law professors.  Uh...ok?  Why anyone would willingly attend a law class without being required to be there is beyond me, but hey, whatever floats his boat.  

A couple excruciating hours later, classes were over and we were more than ready for lunch.  CK had discovered Troha's a few days prior while scouring through Yelp:


No tables and chairs at Troha's.  Just a counter and an extensive fried seafood menu:


We ended up eating our bounty in the parking lot of Huck Finn, where we got donuts for dessert.

I only had my cell phone with me, so I apologize if the photos suck.  Anyway, Troha's had the best jalapeno poppers I've ever had:


Not spicy at all, which I appreciated.  And the gooey cheese was heavenly.

Clam strips couldn't be passed over:


What Troha's is known for is its fried shrimp.  We got the dinner, which came with fries:


We also got a double combo dinner of catfish and perch:


The dinners came with the choice of a side.  We went with macaroni and potato salads:


The fried shrimp was kind of ridiculous.  Super plump and lightly breaded, I want to say that it's the best fried shrimp in Chicago.  I certainly prefer Troha's fried shrimp over that of Lawrence's Fisheries.  Paired with the mild and hot sauces?  Perfecto.

As for the fish, the perch was great, but I would bypass the catfish next time.  Some tartar sauce would've been nice too.  The sides weren't too memorable, but that could be because we were too consumed by the fried seafood feast before us to pay them much attention.

Troha's has found a new fan in me.  If they didn't go straight to my thighs, I would be at Troha's once a week for their fried shrimp.  And their jalapeno poppers.


Troha's Chicken & Shrimp House
4151 W 26th St
Chicago, IL 60623
(773) 521-7847
http://www.chicagoshrimphouse.com/

Comments

  1. Take me with you next time Amy!
    In my family we agree that when the sign of the establishment displays their featured animal products...then the place is probably going to be good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!