New York: Indian Road Cafe

Since Nana was still hard at work and the weather was nice, my sister and I killed the afternoon post-Flushing sitting on the steps of the Low Memorial Library at Columbia, doing a crossword puzzle.  Once Nana was free from her duties, we set off to meet DS for dinner at Indian Road Cafe:


Located way, WAY up north, Indian Road Cafe is Nana and DS's favorite weekend brunch spot.  I didn't get the brunch experience until my April trip to NY, so that post will come later.  (Much later, given how behind I am...)  This post is all about dinner.

Indian Road Cafe is super cozy and gives off the feel of that neighborhood joint where everyone knows everyone:


We started off the meal with a roasted beet and haricot vert salad:


It came with almond crusted goat cheese, frisee, and a mustard vinaigrette.

We also shared an eggplant parmesan, which was one of the specials of the day:


The tomato sauce was fantastic, but we waited a bit too long to get started on it, so the eggplant wasn't as crispy as we would've liked.

My sister and I split the steak sandwich:


The sandwich came on ciabatta and included steak (duh), frisee, celery leaves, caramelized onion, shaved parmesan, and sundried tomato pesto.  So freakin' good.  The steak was tender, the onion was sweet while the parmesan was salty...and the pesto.  Oh, the pesto...

We also shared the lobster mac & cheese:


Nana ordered one for herself, but she somehow picked out all the pasta and LEFT ALL THE LOBSTER BITS.  Seriously?  Who does that?!  Apparently she likes the "essence" of lobster, but not the actual lobster meat.  My sister and I, on the other hand, thoroughly enjoyed our lobster chunks, which were surprisingly quite generous.

I know Nana was a bit nervous about how I would react to her favorite restaurant.  No worries, my friend.  I genuinely enjoyed our meal at the Indian Road Cafe and I completely understand why you love it so much. Great food, great ambiance, great service...all at a decent price.

Thank you for introducing me to Indian Road Cafe, Nana.  I certainly would never have ventured that far north on my own.


Indian Road Cafe
600 W 218 St
New York, NY 10034
(212) 942-7451
http://indianroadcafe.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!