New York: Big Gay Ice Cream Shop

We were in Philly long enough the second day to browse through the Mutter (pronounced "mooter") Museum before we had to catch our bus to New York.  

We may have also pigged out on fast food while waiting at the 30th Street Station, but that has no place on this food blog.  Or it shouldn't anyway.  If I didn't know that my friends would excommunicate me if I ever did a post on Taco Bell, I totally would.  (Chalupas for life!) 

Moving on.  The bus ride to New York took a little longer than we thought it would (damn you, Lincoln Tunnel), but we eventually made it to the Big Apple.  We kind of expected just to stay in and have a quiet night with Nana, but we should have known better.  

Next thing we knew, it was off to the Big Gay Ice Cream Shop:


I'd been wanting to get me some big gay ice cream ever since I first heard about the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck two years ago.  Sadly, every time I was in NYC it was always too early in the year for the truck to come out to play.  Then, I got the news of the opening of their storefront.  Praise the Lord!  It can't escape me any longer!

Inside, we were confronted with two walls full of choices.  Even the man in front of us felt overwhelmed:


The salty pimp was a no-brainer:


Vanilla ice cream with dulce de leche and sea salt, dipped in chocolate.  Hello.  Just the perfect mix of sweet and salty.

Since we got a cone, we figured we should try an ice cream sandwich too.  Everyone, say hi to the choinkwich:


Super dense chocolate cookies sandwiching chocolate ice cream and...get this...bacon marmalade.  Hoo yah!  I loved it, but Nana kept saying, "It's not right, man.  It's not right."

Cone, check.  Sandwich, check.  All that's left was a shake.  My sister picked the daily special, the chai shake:


The flavor of the spices...oh, man.  It really was like drinking chai, but a much thicker, richer, creamier version.

So many other things I want to try in every category.  Horchata shake, anyone?  How about the mermaid (vanilla ice cream, key lime curd, crushed graham crackers, whipped cream)?  Or the cinnamax (cinnamon ice cream between snickerdoodles)?

If only I had the time, the money, and the rockin' metabolism.  Not cheap, y'all, but definitely worth a try.


Big Gay Ice Cream Shop
125 E 7th St
New York, NY 10009
(212) 533-9333
http://biggayicecream.com/

Comments

  1. I wasn't able to make it there the last time I was in NY. I dream of the salty pimp... MUST TRY SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See New York live cams https://camguide.net/usa/new-york/new-york/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!