South Bay: So Gong Dong Tofu House

Exciting news!  I'm heading to South Korea tomorrow!  I've been pushing myself to get caught up on my posts before I leave and with this post, it looks like I'm going to make it.  Woot!

Since I'll miss my mom's birthday due to my trip, I invited my ahyi out to help celebrate my mom's birthday early.  We let my mom choose the restaurant.  She's currently obsessed with figuring out how to make Korean tofu at home, so that's how we ended up at So Gong Dong Tofu House tonight:


The place was completely packed:


We had our order taken at the door before our table was even ready.

There wasn't a lot of panchan, but all of it was good:


The kimchi was actually spicy to me, which was worrying as I'll be spending my next two weeks in the land of spiciness.

The salad was pretty, but I didn't really touch it:


My ahyi ordered the kimchi tofu...spicy:


Just look at it angrily bubbling away.

My mom wanted her beef tofu mild:


Meanwhile, my mandu (dumpling) tofu was completely non-spicy (wimpy, I know):


Check out the size of the dumpling:


I was surprised by how many dumplings were in the pot.

The rice was served to us tableside from a sizzling pot:


After all the rice had been scooped out, tea was poured into the pot to create a porridge-esque concoction:


That's my dad's favorite part of the meal.  Too bad I was too full by the end to even give it a taste.

So Gong Dong Tofu House is obviously busy for good reason.  While I enjoyed my meal, a part of me wondered why I was having Korean food the night before I'm leaving for Korea, where I'll be having Korean food nonstop for the next 14 days.

Anyway, I am now officially all caught up on my posts!  I am bringing my laptop to Korea, but I can't promise that I will be able to blog during my trip.  So much food, so little time, ya know?  I will definitely try though, if not for my own sanity.  The backlog will kill me as I'll be starting school a week after I return.  Definitely not looking forward to that...


So Gong Dong Tofu House
231 W Calaveras Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 262-5454

Comments

  1. Have a nice trip! This looks really nice (apart from that wimpy tofu) and I was really drooling because I love both tofu and kimchi. The pot in which they served this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!