Korea: Paldalmun Market

From the cafe, we slowly made our way to Paldalmun Market:


I love markets because they always mean awesome snack vendors.

Our first stop was this stand:


For some beondegi (silkworm pupae):


I think I would've been okay with the bugs if they'd been crunchy.  Instead, they were mealy from being boiled and the unpleasant texture really threw me off.  I ate one and I was done.

We also got some taffy-like candy:


Really sticky once you bite into it.

These perfectly round jjinppang (steamed buns) were calling to me:


We ended up buying two:


One had regular meat:


While the other had spicy kimchi:


This was the only thing I had in my entire two week trip that was too spicy for me to handle.  Insanely spicy.  I couldn't take more than a nibble.

To cool the flame on my tongue, we got a hotteok to split:


A hotteok is essentially a Korean pancake that's filled with some kind of brown sugar mixture:


I don't know what made this particular hotteok green, but it sure was yummy.  I really like hotteok, but the one thing that can be slightly off-putting about it is that because the filling isn't evenly dispersed throughout the pancake, oftentimes you'll end up biting into a pocket of pure sugar.  The key is to quickly take a bite of a doughy part afterwards.  Then all will be well.

Suwon may not be the bustling city that Seoul is, but it still has plenty to offer.  More food posts to come!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!