Taiwan: Melange Cafe

One of the things I like to get done in Taiwan is to get my hair cut.  I typically go to a chain salon where I can get a decent cut for a fraction of the price of what I would need to pay in the U.S.  Jiejie, on the other hand, is a bit more bougie and is a regular at a fancier salon.  On my last trip, I decided to give the fancy life a shot and asked her to make me an appointment with her hair stylist.

Before my appointment, however, Jiejie wanted to introduce me to some of her favorite waffles.  For that, she brought me to Melange Cafe:


We actually started at their first store right next door, since it opens earlier than the second store (7:30am rather than 9:30).  However, since the first store wasn't serving the waffles that Jiejie wanted me to try until 10am, we decided to wait for the second one to open.

They actually let us in a bit before 9:30, which was nice.  The interior had this cozy lounge feel with very cushy seats:


Service was courteous from the get-go.  The servers were very attentive and we were given baskets to put our bags in under the table.

Jiejie recommended their iced summer fruit tea (180 NT / $5.75), so that's what I ordered:


The pitcher was a little small for the price point (it's not cheap, yo), but it was full of fresh fruit like apple, orange, pineapple, and passion fruit.

For herself, Jiejie got the hot milk tea (160 NT / $5.10), which was surprisingly enough to share between two people:


And of course, the pièce de résistance, the strawberry cream waffle (170 NT / $5.40):


I should have never doubted Jiejie.  I don't think I've ever had a waffle so perfectly and evenly toasted on the outside and soft (so soft!) on the inside.  It was glorious.  Especially paired with the custard and the strawberry sauce.

But even more glorious was the moment Jiejie realized that I'd stolen the bill right from under her nose.  After our server set our bill on the table, I waited until Jiejie was distracted to quietly slip the bill under the table onto my chair.  My wallet was in my bag in the basket under the table, so I had to bide my time and wait for Jiejie to be distracted again before I could oh-so-casually stretch below to get it.  All while continuing a conversation with her.  And when she least expected it, I handed the bill and my credit card with a flourish to our server.

Ah, seeing that look of betrayal on her face?  Far sweeter than all the waffles in the world.


米朗琪咖啡館
台北市中山北路二段 16 巷 17 號 1F
02-2567-2136
https://melangecafe.com.tw/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!