Taiwan: Ah Ba no Yu Yuan

On the same Youtube video that introduced me to the Man Le taro pork floss sandwich, I discovered Ah Ba no Yu Yuan:


Located in the Lehua Night Market, Ah Ba no Yu Yuan is very popular, judging by its long lines:


Their signature is this explosion of taro (135 NT / $4.30):


The taro comes in three forms: taro glutinous ball, taro paste, and taro cream.  It's basically a taro lover's dream.  There's also white glutinous balls, tapioca, and barley to add a bit more color and texture contrast.

The most unique part of Ah Ba's signature is this:


Instead of humdrum regular ice, Ah Ba's signature shaved ice is made of sugar cane juice and comes in large chips.  There's a subtle sweetness to it that is simply delightful.  One of my pet peeves with shaved ice is that when it melts, you end up with a bland watery mess.  No such problem with this!

I loved Ah Ba so much that I brought my parents there less than a week later.  Unsurprisingly, they loved it too.


阿爸の芋圓
234 新北市永和區保平路18巷1號
+886 2 2924 7461

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!