Taiwan: Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodle

Ay-Chung (pronounced Ah Zhong in Mandarin) Flour Rice Noodle is basically an institution in Taipei known for its mee sua (Taiwanese for a thin wheat vermicelli noodle in a thickened soup).  As I wasn't a big fan of mee sua growing up, I was never tempted to seek it out.

On this last trip back to the motherland, however, I decided it was high past time:


There's no seating at Ay-Chung and they only sell one thing.  The mee sua comes in large (70 NT / $2.25) or small (55 NT / $1.75).  Even though there's always a large crowd around the storefront, the line goes quickly since the mee sua is already made and just needs to be scooped into bowls.  Once you have your mee sua, you take it to the condiment counter to add your desired amount of chili sauce, garlic, and vinegar.

Jiejie, Abby, and I split a large bowl:


Even though it was a hot day in Taipei, there was something comforting and nostalgic about slurping down that goopy noodle soup.  And to my great surprise, I actually loved it.  I loved the flavor, I loved the noodle texture, and I especially loved the intestine.

This just goes to show that you can't let your childhood prejudices misguide you.  A lot of things that I disliked as a kid, I now enjoy.  Mee sua being one of them.

But I also have to give Ay Chung credit.  Out of all the mee sua I've ever had, Ay Chung is by far the best.  They're definitely worth the hype!


阿宗麵線
台灣台北峨嵋街8號之1
886 2 2388 8808

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!