South Bay: Binh Minh

T told me about a mystical Vietnamese goat hot pot place a long time ago, but we didn't get around to actually going until fairly recently.  Once CK and AG heard, they insisted on tagging along with us to Binh Minh:


Exactly as T described, the restaurant was filled with Vietnamese uncles who were there simply to eat, drink, and have a good time:


We started off with the be thui tron thinh or smoked veal with grilled rice powder ($12 for a small):


It came with lots of leafy goodness and dipping sauce:


T had to ask for the shrimp paste.  I guess we didn't look hardcore enough.

We also ordered this, but I can't remember what it was:


I tried texting T to ask her, but she also doesn't recall.  She guesses that it might have been some kind of sliced goat meat.

I remember both appetizers being fresh and delicious, but the most memorable dish of the night was the house special goat hot pot ($39 for large):


I came with huge chunks of bone-in goat:


It came with noodles and taro on the side:


As well as greens to add in hot pot style:


Not quite as plentiful in ingredients as Chinese-style hot pot, but I didn't mind at all.  I don't know what made the broth that color.  All I know is that it was really freakin' good.  I didn't even need the meat inside.  I loved just slurping up noodles in that broth.

If you're looking for pho and spring rolls, Binh Minh isn't the place for you.  Binh Minh is unapologetically Vietnamese and they're not in any way trying to cater to the American palate.  The menu is in Vietnamese with descriptions in English for most items, but not all.  The herbs are plentiful and the shrimp paste is funky, just as it should be.  Your safest bet is to bring your Vietnamese friend with you.

This is why I keep T around.

Just kidding.  I appreciate you, T, for more than your ability to order in Vietnamese.

I also keep you around for your mother's cooking.  Heh.


Binh Minh
999 Story Rd, Ste 9048
San Jose, CA 95122
(408) 275-1935

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!