Taiwan: Man Le Teppan Toast

Abby had a one month rotation in Taipei earlier this year while she was still in med school.  In typical me fashion, I used her as an excuse for a vacation for myself.  My parents and I went to Taipei during Abby's last week of rotation.  T, CV, and CL then met up with us for a couple days before we all ditched my parents and headed to the Philippines together.

Prior to the girls' arrival, I hung out mostly with my cousin (who we call Jiejie) since Abby still had to report to the hospital and my parents had to spend time with my grandparents.  I had a list of places I wanted to eat at and Jiejie patiently made everything happen.

Including Man Le Teppan Toast:


I added Man Le to my list after I watched a Youtube video about taro goodies in Taipei.  Now, I like taro about as much as the next Asian person, but my friend CK loves taro with a FIERY PASSION.  And since she couldn't join us on our vacation, I decided to eat as much taro as I could in her honor.

And also to torture her.  Heh.

The second I saw this taro and cream sandwich (65 NT or around $2), I knew it would make CK good and jealous:


Honestly, it wasn't my cup of tea.  Even though the bread was nicely toasted, the texture of the sandwich as a whole was just soft, soft, and soft.  The taro was mild in flavor, as was the cream, resulting in an overall pretty bland sandwich.

What was a revelation, however, was the taro and pork floss sandwich (65 NT):


Unlike the cream, the pork floss added a delicious contrast to the taro in both texture and flavor.  That savory-sweet combo was just my cup of tea.  I loved it so much that I went back almost a week later with Abby to get some to bring to my parents and grandparents.

Going on a Saturday morning was a completely different experience than going on a Monday.  Whereas there was almost no wait on Monday, we could see the line from a block away on Saturday.  The wait was so long that we took a boba break at Wushiland a couple doors down after placing our order.

Man Le offers other sandwiches, like the peanut butter and bacon one I got with Jiejie (75 NT / around $2.50).  I took a bite, but it wasn't nearly as interesting as the taro pork floss sandwich, so I packed it to go to bring to Abby at the hospital along with half of the taro pork floss.  They also have some basic drinks like coffee and tea.  We got the iced black tea (25 NT / $0.80).  Nothing too fancy there.

Even though I'm not a taro fanatic like CK, I would go back to Man Le again and again just for the taro pork floss sandwich. 

Can this flavor duo make its way to the U.S. already?


滿樂鐵板吐司
台北市中正區杭州南路一段69號
+886 2 2391 5153

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!