New York: Kati Roll Company

After the Daily Show, my sister and I met up with a good friend for dinner. On the way to her apartment, it suddenly started to hail. Not tiny-dipping-dots-hail, oh no. I'm talking BB bullet-size hail. And of course, my sister and I didn't have an umbrella. I think we were laughing a bit hysterically by the time we reached my friend's place. (I got pinged in the eye a few times. It was funny at the time, but looking back now I can only remember how much it stung.)

Anyway, we hung around my friend's apartment for a bit, getting to know her roommates. When we set out for dinner, the hail had stopped but the ground was covered in a layer of ice. Thanks to some careful treading, we made it to Kati Roll Co in one piece:



According to my friend, this is the late night Indian guy hangout for some post-bar/club grub. We were a bit early for that particular crowd, thank goodness.

Kati rolls are basically Indian flat-breads wrapped around meats and veggies. Because we wanted to try different ones, because my friend said one wouldn't be enough, and because 2 of the same roll is cheaper than a single one, my sister and I split 2 shami kabob rolls (2 for $9.50, 1 for $5.25) and 2 beef rolls (2 for $8.50, 1 for $4.75):



The shami kabab roll is filled with spicy minced mutton:



One word: LAAAAMB. Okay, so maybe I wasn't really expecting the lamb to be ground into a paste, but lamb is lamb is lamb. The meat was heavily spiced and the flat-bread was hot and delicious.

The beef roll was full of surprises:



After the lamb roll, I didn't expect to get such large chunks of beef. The meat could've been cooked a little longer, as it was a bit tough to take a bite without pulling out an entire piece of beef. The other surprise was not as pleasant. It was SPICY. Really spicy. Heavy breathing spicy. While I was gasping for my life, my friend was nice enough to run and buy a bottle of water. Saved my life, she did.

I'm not much of an alcohol drinker (understatement of the year), but I can see the appeal in grabbing a kati roll or two after a late night out on the town.


Kati Roll Company
49 W 39th St
New York, NY 10018
(212) 730-4280

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!