New York: Amy Ruth's

My 2nd day in New York was spent chillin' with my friend and my sister. We explored the Costco in Harlem and then went back to my friend's apartment to veg out in front of the TV. We did manage to peel ourselves away from the TV and get out of the building for dinner at Amy Ruth's with our other friend from high school:



There was a line as usual, but we actually didn't have to wait very long before the bouncer at the door waved us in.

Upon sitting, a basket of cornbread was placed before us:



One of my friends and I decided to share 2 dishes. We started off with the 3 sides platter and after much deliberation decided on fried okra, mac and cheese, and cheesy grits:



The mac and cheese was a little bland for my tastes, but the fried okra were good.

My friend and I feel the same way about grits. We want to like it. We always give it a chance, thinking that our past bad experiences were only the result of subpar grits. And we always end up disappointed. I don't understand grits.

We also shared the Rev. Al Sharpton:



Of course I asked for dark meat. The fried chicken was lightly fried and so, so juicy. The waffle was decent.

My sister ordered the fried catfish sandwich and chose the string beans as her side:



My friend claims Amy Ruth's has the best chicken and waffles in New York. As I've only ever had chicken and waffles at Amy Ruth's, I'll have to say I agree with her. The only thing I enjoyed more than the food was the chance to catch up with old friends in an exciting city.


Amy Ruth's
113 W 116th St
New York, NY 10026
(212) 280-8779

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!