Chicago: Fish Bar

My roommate had been following news about Fish Bar since the concept of it was first announced. When it opened a few weeks ago, we started planning when would be a good time to check it out. I met up with my roomie after clinic work on Thursday:



My roomie got there a bit earlier than me. By the time I arrived, she was chatting up a storm with the bartender, who'd already given her tastings of different beers on the house.

We placed our order. When this plate was placed before us, we thought there'd been a mistake and sent it back. Then we found out that the bartender was just sending us some love in the form of an iceberg salad with calamari and blue cheese dressing:



Not a fan of blue cheese, but the calamari? Perfection. Lightly fried and melt in your mouth soft.
The ceviche, on the other hand, was a bit of a letdown:



The jar was cute, but the there just wasn't enough acidity in the mix of fish, pineapple, avocado, cucumber, serrano chile, cilantro, and lime. A little more lime would've gone a long way.

Next came the highlight of our meal:



The oyster po' boy was TO DIE FOR. Best fried oyster I've ever had in my life. One oyster by itself was half the size of the sandwich. The breading was incredible and the oyster itself was almost creamy in texture. The bun was perfectly toasted too. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

We also ordered the lobster roll:



The lobster came in nice big chunks and was seasoned with cumin, which added a surprising burst of flavor. None of that heavy mayo stuff in this sandwich, oh no. The lobster roll was great, but...not exactly worth $18

We had a great time at Fish Bar. The atmosphere was great, the service attentive, and the food fantastic. My only complaint would be the price for the small serving sizes. I won't be ordering the lobster roll again, but the oyster po' boy by itself is enough to tempt me back. Not to mention I also want to try the codfish sandwich...


Fish Bar
2956 N Sheffield Ave
Chicago, IL 60657
(773) 687-8177

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!