South Bay: Shanghai Dumpling

My parents took just about everyone to Shanghai Dumpling before they finally found time to take me.  Oh, they told me about it, of course.  They lovingly described the soup dumplings and once they even brought me some leftover shen jian bao (pan fried buns).

When I finally set my eyes on Shanghai Dumpling, I was excited:


I love buns.

We arrived just a little before the kitchen was supposed to close, but there were still quite a few people enjoying lunch inside:


Of course we had to order the steamed pork soup dumplings ($5.95):


This is what it looks like inside:


The soup dumplings were good, but not as amazing as I thought they would be.  Even my parents were somewhat disappointed.  Maybe they were just having an off day.

The glutinous rice with pork and bamboo ($10.95), however, was quite fab:


The pork was fatty without being overly so.  The bamboo was a nice addition and the sauce was sweet and savory and just yummy with the glutinous rice.  My only complaint is that there could have been more rice.  Way more.

My mom always likes to order minced shrimp lettuce wraps ($9.95):


 This was one of the better ones I've had in a while.  Here it is in its little lettuce shell:


The pine nuts in the filling made added a fun crunch and they were certainly not shy with the shrimp.

My favorite, however, was the shen jian bao or pan fried buns ($7.95):


They come stuffed with pork:


So.  Good.  The bun and the meat are perfectly proportioned.  I hate it when there's too much bun.  The meat filling is well seasoned and juicy.  The bun is light and has a good crust from where it was sitting on the pan.


Shanghai Dumpling definitely delivered.  While the soup dumplings weren't all that, I would go back for the pan fried buns alone.

Hopefully the next time I go they won't be playing Jay Chou music videos nonstop on their multiple TV screens.  I won't hold my breath though.  From what I read on Yelp, it seems to be an everyday thing.  Sigh.


Shanghai Dumpling
10895 S Blaney Ave
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 777-8786

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!