Tri-City: New Yong Kang Seafood Restaurant

When I was a kid, Chinese restaurants were you could choose three dishes and get a soup for a set price were all the rage.  The one we went to most often closed down, but New Yong Kang Sefood Restaurant still remains:


My parents and I stopped by one evening after I got off work since it's close to the BART station and my mom wasn't in the mood to cook dinner.

It's not as busy as I remember it being when I was younger, but there were still quite a few people dining inside and others ordering to go:


Almost the minute you sit down, you're brought tea and soup.  The soup is always this mysterious meat broth with veggies and tiny pieces of meat:


For $19.50, you get to choose any three dishes.  If you want rice, it's an additional $1.10 per person.  The menu is quite extensive and while the food isn't exactly gourmet, it's decent.

For our three dishes, we went with the walnut prawns:


The prawns were lightly battered and fried, just how I like it.  Some restaurants dunk the prawns in thick batter.  You know what I'm talking about.  The kind where you can't see the shrimp through the fried shell.  I hate that.  It gets soggy quickly and usually the batter to prawn ratio is just ridiculous.

We also ordered the salt and pepper flounder:


It was perfectly fried, bones and all.  Not very oily, but also not very flavorful.  Someone forgot the salt.  Sigh.

To round off our three, we got the string beans:


My family loves this dish and we order it a lot when we go out because my mom hates frying the beans at home.

Because we always order way too much, of course we had to order two more dishes a la carte.

My dad can never turn away a steamed chicken with green onion and ginger sauce:


And as a noodle fanatic, my mom just had to try the Thai-style vermicelli:


Not very Thai, but what do you expect in a Chinese restaurant?

As I said, New Yong Kang isn't the fanciest of places, but it's cheap and there's not much to complain about when it comes to the food.  If you're looking for a quick Chinese meal, screw Panda Express and go with New Yong Kang.


New Yong Kang Seafood Restaurant
40900 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 252-9926

Comments

  1. Thank you for your positive feedback! We're glad you found the blog helpful and that it sparked your interest in visiting the hotel. We strive to provide valuable information to our readers and will continue to share interesting content like this in the future. We appreciate your support! Also, thank you for sharing the link to the best indian restaurant near me. We love hearing about great dining options in the area!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!