South Bay: Hukilau

Ahyi's iPhone kept trying to give us the directions to a Japanese restaurant called Minato instead of Hukilau, which was our actual intended destination.  We should have taken that as a sign:


Hukilau certainly looked promising at first.  All the tables in sight were filled:


My mom is a nacho fanatic, so the kalua pig cheese nachos were a given:


Even she couldn't bring herself to finish the plate.  The pork was bland, the cheese was a solid mess, and the chips were soggy.  Not good at all.

My mom tried the fried pork chops:


While my ahyi ordered the spicy fish tacos:


I went with the loco moco, as recommended by Yelpers:


None of it was remotely good.  The "Mauna Kea" was my meat of choice in my loco moco.  It was basically  2 hamburger patties smothered in gravy on a bed of rice and topped with 2 fried eggs.  The best thing on that plate were the eggs.  That and the out-of-season pineapple slices.  Seriously.  The patties were dry, the rice was weird, and the gravy was just meh.

My mom was in the mood for noodles, so she ordered a side them for $2:


I have no idea what the noodles were seasoned with, but I'm guessing not much.

As my first foray into Hawaiian cuisine, Hukilau really didn't do it for it.  I'm trying not to let that discourage me from trying Hawaiian again, but I have to admit that I'm not tempted to give it another try anytime in the near future.

Thanks a lot, Hukilau.


Hukilau
230 Jackson St
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 279-4888
http://www.dahukilau.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!