New York: Kopitiam

Kopitiam was high on my list of NYC eateries that I wanted to try.  Abby and I managed to squeeze in a breakfast run on our last full day in the city:


The place was pretty empty, but it was a Tuesday morning after all:


The interior decor made us feel like we'd been transported to a coffee shop in Malaysia.  We placed our order at the counter and then found ourselves a seat at the window.  Soon enough, the food arrived.

Abby needed her morning caffeine kick, so she got herself a cup of hot kopi tarik ($4.25):


The hand-pulled Penang black coffee came sweetened with condensed milk, which is how all beverages should be sweetened in my opinion.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but I didn't need to be one to notice how rich and intense it was.  Abby, who is a coffee drinker, really seemed to enjoy it. 

I didn't care about anything else except for the half boiled eggs ($3.50):


The two (less than) half boiled eggs came doused with house mushroom soy sauce and white pepper.  I basically drank it like a delicious, delicious soup.

To add some sweetness, we got the kaya butter toast ($5):


Kaya, for those who are unfamiliar, is a pandan coconut jam.  It's freakin' delicious on buttered toast, especially when the toast comes as thick as it does at Kopitiam.

Abby was most excited about the chilled spicy sesame noodles ($8):


The cold rice noodles were super refreshing paired with the cucumber slices.  The spicy sesame sauce, however, was a bit too much for me.  After a couple bites, I had to throw in the towel and let Abby finish the bowl.  I did manage to keep it together long enough to polish off the eggs though.

I love eggs, especially yolks.  It's a borderline obsession of mine.

Kopitiam is definitely one of those places that I could see myself going again and again.  There were so many things on the menu that I wanted to try.  But with just the two of us, we barely scraped the surface.  Guess this just means we'll have to fly back to New York for another visit!


Kopitiam
2151 E Broadway
New York, NY 1000
(646) 609-3785
https://www.kopitiamnyc.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!