New York: Dominique Ansel

Dominique Ansel might be old news to some, but I hadn't been before so it was still exciting for me to walk through their doors for the first time back in March:


On a Monday morning around 9 am, there was essentially no wait.  We were able to order what we wanted, leisurely enjoy them in the back sunroom, and then return to order more to go.  No lines out the door, just a couple people perusing the goods.

As usual, my sister and I couldn't resist ordering more than we strictly needed.  We had to get Dominique Ansel's bestsellers, the cronut and the DKA (Dominique's kouign amann):


Dominique Ansel offers one cronut flavor a month.  In March, the flavor was blueberry jam with earl grey tea ganache ($6):


The ganache was super fragrant, while the blueberry added a nice tart touch.  A bit oily for my tastes, but I can see why the cronut made Dominique Ansel famous.

The DKA ($5.50) was actually my favorite of everything we tried.  Just look at these buttery, flaky layers:


To give ourselves a savory break, we also got a ham and cheese croissant ($5.50):


Dominique Ansel really has that buttery, flaky thing down:


So is it worth the hype?  Actually, I think yes.  Everything we had there was expensive, yes, but they were also beautifully crafted and more importantly, delicious.  I probably wouldn't wait in line for Dominique Ansel, but I wouldn't mind dropping in during an off time and treating myself to some goodies from time to time.


Dominique Ansel
189 Spring St
New York, NY 10012
(212) 219-2773
https://www.dominiqueansel.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!