South Bay: Tong Soon Garden

CK started to take her fitness more seriously at the start of the year.  Curious, I weighed myself.  The results were not flattering to say the least.  With my trip to Taiwan coming up in April, I knew I had to do something or face the (loving) criticism of my relatives.  Catching me at a weak moment, CK convinced me to attend a (free) Flywheel class with her.

I.  Almost.  Died.

Abby was able to keep up.  Meanwhile, it took me 50 minutes into the 60 minute class to figure out how to stand and peddle the bike. 

Aching in places I didn't want to think about, I hobbled out of that place ready to collapse in a corner and cry.  Then CK mentioned lunch and suddenly I got my second wind.

Nothing like the promise of jajangmyeon to get you back on your feet.

It was our first time at Tong Soon Garden.  CK's coworker had recommended it as a great place to get Korean Chinese food:


There was a super tiny parking lot in the back.  Luckily we arrived just before the lunch rush and were able to score not only a parking spot, but also a table:


Soon after we sat down, however, the restaurant filled up.

What I was most excited about was the jajangmyeon ($10.95) or noodles in black bean sauce.  The sauce came separate from the noodles and we got to mix them ourselves:


There was seafood and beef in all of that dark, goopy goodness:


Between Chinese style zha jiang mian and Korean style jajangmyeon, I vastly prefer jajangmyeon.  It's just saucier, which is how I like my food.

The kangpoong shrimp ($16.95) was also delicious:


Each shrimp was battered and fried and tossed in a spicy and sweet sauce.

The most interesting dish of the meal was the tangsuyuk ($15.25) or sweet and sour beef:


The sauce was so vinegary that you had to hold your breath as you chewed the fried beef or risk inhaling the fumes.  If you enjoy vinegar as much as I do, you'll love this.  The constant threat of burning through your esophagus made eating this dish extremely exciting.

I thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered at Tong Soon Garden.  It's not cheap, though the portions are generous.  But the food is solid and the service efficient with none of the fuss.

I will definitely be back.  Not to Flywheel.  To Tong Soon Garden.


Tong Soon Garden
3240 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 615-9988
http://www.tongsoongarden.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!