South Bay: Ludwig's

I finally made it to 2019!  Excuse me for a moment as I compose myself.  Yea, yea, I know.  It's May and I'm just starting January.  Get off my back, will ya?  Let me have my moment!

Anyway, back at the beginning of the year, we let AG plan a fun night out in downtown San Jose.  It came as no surprise that he started the night at Ludwig's, a German beer garden:


It was a rainy night and the interior was packed.  We had no choice but to sit outside at one of the covered tables.  Thank goodness for heat lamps!  Too bad the umbrella was set in a way that made water drip directly down my back.  Thankfully my waterproof jacket was so good that I didn't even realize until toward the end.

Only AG and Abby drink.  CK, my cousin, and I were there for the food.  We got the pretzel with beer cheese dip ($6):


The pretzel was a bit too hard for my liking, but the dip was good.

We also ordered the fried spatzle cheese croquettes ($7):


Not super memorable, so I'll move on to the jagerschnitzel ($22.50) or breaded porkloin with mushroom sauce:


We subbed out the fries for pan fried potatoes (extra $1.50).

Even that was just okay, so let's get to the star of the show, the currywurst ($13):


Not so much because of the sausage or the fries...but because of the curry sauce.  That sauce tho!  We wanted to dip everything in it.

What AG wanted was the 2L boot:


I won't even pretend to know what's in that monstrosity.  All I know is that it was $30 and that both Abby and AG got slapped in the face by beer before they learned how to hold it properly.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, made the entire outing, soggy back and all, worth it.

As I'm not a drinker at all (alcohol tastes like paint thinner to me), I probably wouldn't go back to Ludwig's again unless someone else really wanted to.  The food just isn't good enough to make me want to return.  Especially at those prices.


Ludwig's
261 N 2nd St
San Jose, CA 95112
(408) 771-9871
https://www.ludwigssj.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!