SF Peninsula: Back A Yard

The first thing I did after I got home yesterday from the bar exam was to toss out all my printed outlines.  My glee was cut short when my mom suddenly asked if I was sure I wouldn't need them again.

I really feel the love in my house.  Really.

Anyway, I also looked up how to get rid of my Barbri books.  Originally, a couple of us joked about burning our books.  While that sounded appropriately symbolic, it later occurred to me that the sheer amount of book pages to burn would mean a really extended bonfire.  One that would probably lose its appeal relatively quickly.  

Plan B was to return my books to Barbri and get my $250 deposit back.  The only problem is, I had to either mail all 35 lb of them to Michigan or drive the damn things up to South San Francisco.  You can probably guess which option I went for.

Of course my mom and I capitalized on the trip by stopping at Back A Yard for lunch on the way back:


Located in a pretty random spot, Back A Yard is small but cheery:


My mom and I split a few things.  First a beef patty:


Holy moly it was good:


Then two corn festivals (essentially fried cornbread):


Like donuts but much, much better.  Denser, chewier, and more subtle in sweetness.

We also split a combo of jerk chicken and oxtail:


My mom was a fan.  Me too.  The chicken was incredibly juicy and the oxtail was fall off the bone tender.  And the flavors!  Oh, the flavors.  Even the rice and beans was coconut-y and great.  The only thing my mom didn't really like was the plantains, but I enjoyed them enough for the two of us.

Back A Yard apparently has a second location right in downtown San Jose.  That's basically my back yard. Heh.  I just made a funny.

Okay, fine.  Don't laugh.

Anyway, with this post I'm completely caught up!  Right on time too.  In another two hours I'll be on my way to the airport to meet up with CK and her boyfriend and catch out flight to Taiwan.  Woot!  Goodbye bar exam!  Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Cambodia...here we come!

(Just to give you all fair warning, it's going to be a while before my next post.  Don't miss me too much.  Heh.)


Back A Yard
1189 Willow Rd
Menlo Park, CA 94025
(650) 323-4244
http://www.backayard.net/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!