South Bay: Loving Hut

I SURVIVED THE BAR EXAM.  

But the relief hasn't hit me yet.  The only thing I feel is drained.  And still slightly anxious.  

Instead of packing for my month-long trip to SE Asia as I should be doing (I'm leaving tomorrow night after all), I'm going to take a crack at catching up on my blog posts.  What do you think?  Possible?

We shall see.

Before I went into lockdown in July, I met up with my best friend for a movie and lunch.  Brave was much more interesting than its trailers made it seem.  I was hoping Loving Hut would be a hit too:


My best friend is a full on vegan, though she's willing to eat vegetarian at restaurants.  I never knew how hard it is to find a decent vegan place in San Jose.  We finally decided on Loving Hut in Milpitas.

Located in a Chinese plaza, Loving Hut seemed rather out of place:


The menu seemed to be some kind of vegan Asian fusion bonanza.  We started with some soup:


Since we only ordered one lunch entree, we were only supposed to get one soup.  But our server was super sweet and brought us each one.

We were curious about the "ocean basket":


Fries, fried mushrooms, fried...fake shrimp...and fried soy protein (whatever that means).  With some kind of thousand island dressing.  I liked the fries and the mushroom.  The other stuff I could have done without.

Our server recommended the queen's lunch:


I've learned that soy protein is not my friend.  I liked the flavors of the dish, but the protein?  Blech.  It had a strange texture that I did not appreciate.

After lunch, we stopped by the counter and my best friend picked out a vegan dessert:


Raw vegan carob mousse pie.  Also known as "Who's Your Daddy?"  The denseness of the mousse was great, but the flavor...something was off.  I eventually figured out that it was the walnuts.  It's a personal thing.  I don't like the walnut fragrance.  My best friend seemed to like the pie, but I couldn't handle more than a few bites.

Would I go back to Loving Hut?  Probably not.  Unless my best friend wants to go.  I certainly wouldn't go back on my own volition.  Sorry.  I would be happy if I never saw a soy protein again.


Loving Hut
516 Barber Lane
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 943-0250
http://lovinghut.us/milpitas/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!