San Francisco: The Sentinel

It felt wrong to stay cooped up in the office all day when the weather was so nice last Friday.  So during lunch, I gave myself an hour to walk around the city.

While I was walking, I had an intense inner debate over whether I should get lunch since I had a big dinner planned with my mom and my ahyi that night.  The debate, though intense, didn't last long.  My subconscious made the decision for me because I suddenly found that my feet had unconsciously brought me to the doorstep of The Sentinel:

















The line was pretty long when I got there, which was how I knew I was at the right place.  The Sentinel is a sandwich shop that only opens on the weekdays during the peak lunch hours.

The staff at The Sentinel are very efficient.  One lady came out to take the orders of people in line, scribbling away with a sharpie on post-its stuck to her arm.  Another lady stood at the cash register, while another called out the ready orders.  A little army of people were crammed into the small kitchen, working away at preparing sandwiches.

After paying for your sandwich, you emerge on the other side of the street corner to wait:

















I'd heard that the corned beef sandwich with cabbage ($9) made the 2011 San Francisco "100 Things to Try Before You Die" list:

















Though many things on the menu look good, my curiosity got the better of me.  How good could a corned beef sandwich get?

Apparently, very, very good:

















The sandwich came with a mound of corned beef, pickled cabbage, Russian dressing, and swiss cheese, all packed between the most amazing flatbread EVER.  I could eat that bread by itself with no complaints.  It was almost focaccia-like in texture.  Soooooo good!  The sweetness of the cabbage balanced out the savory beef to perfection.

I.  Am.  A.  Fan.

Bonus points for the complimentary Andes mint:

















I love that stuff.

I initially planned on enjoying my sandwich on the lawn of the Yerba Buena Gardens, but when I saw how juicy the sandwich was, I changed my mind and brought everything back to the office, where I had easy access to napkins and a sink.

What made my day even more awesome was the President of the union letting us off an hour early under the guise of celebrating Pride weekend because the weather was so nice.  Woot woot!

I love San Francisco.


The Sentinel
37 New Montgomery St
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 284-9960
http://www.thesentinelsf.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!