South Bay: Kunjip Restaurant

T, CV, and I met up for dinner after work earlier this month.  We were deciding between Kunjip and Nam Vang and ultimately Kunjip won out due to its proximity to Meet Fresh.  Gotta plan ahead, yo.

It was my first time at Kunjip, but I'd heard a lot of good things:


The place was packed.  It was a Friday night, so that wasn't surprising.

I got sidetracked by the banchan and forgot to take a picture of the interior of the restaurant:


That was some very good kimchi.

The three of us split two entrees.  T wanted the galbi tang ($15.95) for the clear noodles:


The beef short rib soup was slightly sweet from the dried jujubes.  It was freakin' delicious.

The splurge of the night was the galbi jim ($45.95):


Yes, you read the price correctly.  That's a lot of money for a pot full of beef short ribs in a sweet soy sauce with broccoli, sweet potato, carrot, and boiled egg.  The sauce was so good that we kept spooning it directly on rice.  The beef came in huge chunks and required some work with the scissors provided to make it more manageable.

Even with the three of us, we couldn't finish everything.  In the end, we packed almost a third of the galbi jim to go.  (I actually took it home and put some noodles in it the next day.)

The menu at Kunjip consists of a total of 11 items.  There are soups, there are cold noodles, and there are stews.  The stews are expensive at over $40 each, while everything else falls in the $12 to $20 range.

Yes, everything was meaty and delicious.  But was it worth the cost?  I'm not so sure about that.  I probably wouldn't order one of the stews unless if it was a special occasion...or if I was with a large group of people.  The soups and cold noodles though, that I would get in a heartbeat.

I DID IT!  With three minutes to spare, I have completely caught up on my posts.  And now I'm off to Greece and I'll see you all in January!  Whee!


Kunjip Restaurant
1066 Kiely Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 246-0025

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!