Los Angeles: Ahgassi Gopchang

Even though our stop at Guisados DTLA turned out to be more of a meal than a snack, CK and I still had some time to kill before we had to pick up my sister from her scholarship dinner.  Which is how we ended up at Ahgassi Gopchang, sister restaurant to Kang Ho-dong Baekjeong, even though neither one of us were hungry:


Even though I honestly thought that I had no stomach space left for more food, I couldn't help but get excited once I saw the brightly lit interior.  Something about exhaust chutes hanging over table top grills just gets to me.

Finding the entrance was a bit of a struggle.  We ended up going around the building to the parking lot in the back before spotting it:


The place was bustling, but we didn't have to wait at all (much to our dismay...we wanted time to digest):


The table was decked with an array of banchan:


My favorite had to be the sweet potatoes.  I don't know what they did to it, but it tasted like candy.

The steamed egg was also delicious:


We ordered the gopchang combo ($55.99).  It came with gopchang or beef small intestine:


Which our server lit on FI-YAH after snipping it up:


And then topped with mushrooms, rice cakes, onions, and potatoes:


The hardest part was waiting for everything to cook.  When we were about finished with the gopchang, our server came back to add the fried rice:


And the stew:


There was more than enough food for four people.  We made a good effort though.  I'm pretty proud of the two of us for somehow managing to shovel even more food into our already full stomachs.  Looks like we still got it despite our advanced ages.

We actually accidentally ordered the wrong kind of intestine.  We originally wanted the large intestine (daechang), which is fattier and doesn't have that slight bitterness that's often in small intestine.  But oh well.  I guess this means we just need to go back to Ahgassi again.

Round two, CK?


Ahgassi Gopchang
3744 W 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90005
(213) 249-9678
http://www.678us.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!