South Bay: Taikee Wonton

My mom had her eye on Taikee Wonton for a long, long time.  Tucked deep inside a business area and surrounded by office buildings, I was surprised she noticed its grand opening in the first place.

Apparently she wasn't the only one.  When we finally made it to Taikee Wonton on a weekend, the parking lot was packed full and there was actually a line out the door:


What the hell?  Where did all these people come from?

We wait a while and finally got a table right by the front door.  This was our view into the restaurant:


My dad ordered the house special dry noodle ($6.99):


Basically just ground pork over noodles, it's a simple dish and shouldn't be easy to mess up.  But somehow Taikee Wonton did.  The must have been in a hurry when they scooped out the noodles because there was so much water at the bottom of the bowl that it completely diluted the flavor of the pork, leaving the entire dish just...bland.

My mom got the sesame sauce with dry noodle ($7.99):


Same problem with the noodles.  Sigh.

I got the minced pork with rice and small wonton soup combo ($7.99):


Minced pork over rice or "ru rou fan" in Chinese, is a very Taiwanese dish.  And one of my favorites.  I've never had one as dry and flavorless as this one.

The whole reason why my mom wanted to try Taikee Wonton was because they advertised that they offered a particular type of wonton from the Hualien area of Taiwan called "bian shi" in Taiwanese.

I'd never had it before, so I had nothing to compare Taikee Wonton to, but what I had at Taikee was waaaaay porky:


Have you ever bitten into something and was just blasted with the taste of pork?  Well, that's what it felt like.  Now, I don't mind that at all, but my mom was very disappointed.

To round out our meal, we also ordered a plate of fried squid ($7.99):


As well as a plate of fried popcorn chicken ($5.99):


They were okay.  Not great, but not bad either.

If you couldn't tell, we weren't all that impressed by Taikee Wonton.  Maybe our standards are really high when it comes to Taiwanese food, but hey, I'm just calling em' as I see em'.  I also found the noodles a bit overpriced for the quantity and quality we got.

Sorry, Taikee Wonton.  We won't be back.


Taikee Wonton
2092 Concourse Dr, Ste 1
San Jose, CA 95131
(408) 432-8889
http://taikeewonton.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!