South Bay: Palace BBQ

My mom was originally in the mood for ramen, so I drove her and my ahyi to Kazoo on El Camino only to discover upon our arrival that the entire restaurant was closed for a private party.  I don't even want to know what kind of party it was, especially with the small middle-aged Asian woman dressed in a sparkly gold Elvis costume (complete with wig) standing at the door.

That's right.  Try to picture it in your head.

With Golden Elvis standing guard, we couldn't get out of the parking lot fast enough.  Befuddled and slightly scared, we drove down El Camino Real without a destination in mind.  My mom mentioned Korean tofu and somehow we ended up at Palace BBQ for Korean barbecue buffet instead:


Probably my fault, but I'm blaming Elvis.

The place was packed.  We endured the wait because we really didn't want to struggle with finding another place to eat:


Palace BBQ has a couple buffet counters.  The first (and the only important one) is filled with different raw meats, both marinated and not:


Beef, pork, chicken, whatever floats your boat.  There's also raw seafood.  You bring it back to your table to grill at your leisure:


Gotta love the beef tongue and chicken gizzards.

The servers bring by lettuce and ssamjang, which is a combination of doenjang (essentially Korean miso) and gochujang (chili paste), for your to wrap your meat with:


The other buffet counters boast of hot foods, soups, rice, sushi, and banchan (Korean side dishes):


Avoid the sushi at all costs.  I really shouldn't have to tell you that.  But even I always end up ignoring my brain and find myself with a plate of sushi and regret.  The hot food can also be skipped.  They don't taste very good and more often than not, are not very hot either.

Stick to the meat and seafood and make sure to get your money's worth.  Palace BBQ is not cheap.  At $26.50 a head, it's almost highway robbery.  Take that money and spend it at a Japanese seafood buffet.

There must be a better Korean barbecue buffet place in the Bay Area.  I refuse to believe you can only find the good stuff in SoCal!


Palace BBQ
1092 E El Camino Real #1
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
(408) 554-9292

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!